Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Hero Burger of Blogs

It is with great reluctance that I am writing a blog.

I was inspired by a hamburger--a very bad hamburger. There is a place in Toronto called Hero Burgers that I made the mistake of eating at yesterday. You can look at their web site at www.heroburgers.com. Their ad promises that "using nothing but 100% Angus Beef for our hamburgers and adding no additives or preservatives we make the freshest and juiciest hamburgers possible." Furthermore, "we strive to make every visit special so that every time you have one of our fresh sandwiches you will understand why we say that every Hero makes a difference."

A difference indeed. The Hero Burger's meat tastes like a they put a cow foot in a blender and added salt. The luke-warm "fresh cut french fries" cooked in "100% canloa oil" had a distinctly rancid flavor that, apparently, American (and presumably Canadian) consumers have grown to expect. There is not just one Hero Burger; Hero Burger has expanded to ten locations in places as far away as Aurora. The company has grand growth plans; can a public offering be far away?

I had to ask myself: Why does the Hero Burger need to exist? Does the world need yet another disgusting fast food chain when there is already a McDonald's on every other block? The world needs another fast food chain about as much as it needs another blog.

A blog, a blog. A good idea. Welcome to Milequetoast. The Hero Burger of Blogs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how's Hero compare to way-over-hyped In-N-Out? Sure, it's cool that they'll wrap your burger in lettuce if you want, but it's still a crappy fast-food meat-disc...

Anonymous said...

How is it that a Jeff got in here first?!? I am Jeff!!!

But back to the Burger joint at hand.

Now, while I have not had the pleasure of having a Hero burger, I did once try one of their milkshakes, to which I remember being favourably disposed. On the strength of MT's advice, I will not stray from the drinks section. And while I have never had an in and out (so to speak) burger it still has to be one of the coolest names for a burger joint going.
My vote for best burger is that served at the Ritz Carleton, Naples. Cheap at US$20!
-- The other Jeff

MJR said...

That's the first time I have heard of the Witchcraft cupcake.
We make a surprising number of cupcakes around these parts and I would be worth it to go the extra mile. Results here are a bit bland.
I have a question for Milquetoast: do you remember the Taffy candy in the red Plaid boxes available in Ontario. My father has started asking after them -- I never remember him ever eating one of them -- and I don't see them anywhere. The other Jeff